SUBSCRIBE for new videos every Wednesday!
GET THIS RECIPE on hotforfoodblog.com http://bit.ly/1X1uCkB
WATCH Kin’s Ultimate Thanksgiving Menu playlist:
SUBSCRIBE to the other Ultimate Thanksgiving Menu creators:
Marcel Cocit – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=loveatfirstbitemc
Simply Bakings – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=simplybakings
Shannon Sullivan – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=glamourwonderland
Weelicious – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=jgswife
Stacie Billis – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=onehungrymama
Lauren Toyota of hot for food shows you how to make a vegan, gluten-free green bean casserole that’s creamy, delicious, and easy to make for your Thanksgiving feast!
CHECK OUT LAUREN’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://bit.ly/SubLaurenToyota
** makes 6 servings
Crispy Onion Strings Ingredients:
1 white onion
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (soy or almond work best)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients:
8 cups fresh green beans (or thawed frozen green beans)
1 cup raw whole cashews (soaked for 3 hours)
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
1 tbsp coconut oil
8 oz cremini mushrooms
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2/3 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Thinly slice the onion with a mandolin or if you’re great with a knife then try it out! They should be thin enough that you can see through them.
2. Pour the non-dairy milk into a bowl and whisk in the apple cider vinegar. Let the onions soak in this mixture for 10-15 mins.
3. In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour with smoked paprika, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Heat your frying oil in large pot until it reaches 375 F.
5. Using your hands toss and coat all the onions with flour. Gently shake off any excess and set them aside in another bowl.
6. Deep fry onions in small batches. They take approx. 2 minutes then remove with tongs and lay out onto paper towel. Continue doing batches until all the onions are used up.
– If you have more onions then you need to top the one casserole, just bring the extras to the table as I’m sure people will be topping their entire plate of food with these delicious, crunchy onions!
7. To make the sauce for the casserole, drain the cashews from the soaking water. Rinse them under fresh water and drain. Then add to a high powered blender with fresh water and arrowroot flour. Blend until very smooth.
8. Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat, add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
9. Add shallot and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
10. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Then add nutmeg, onion powder, sea salt and ground pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
11. Then stir in vegetable stock and cashew cream in smaller portions, bit by bit, stirring constantly until smooth and well combined. Bring to a simmer.
12. Once the sauce is simmering add lemon juice and then green beans. Toss the beans to coat in the sauce and cover the pan with a lid.
13. Let this sit for 20 minutes stirring occasionally until the beans are cooked, but still bright green and slightly crisp.
14. Remove the pan from the heat and either serve it in the pan or transfer beans and sauce to a casserole dish. Top with crispy onions. You can also put the whole casserole under the broiler for a few minutes to warm and crisp up the onion strings. Serve immediately!
Here’s another green bean casserole idea using a store-bought vegan cream sauce – http://bit.ly/1vKbryB
website – http://www.hotforfoodblog.com
twitter – http://www.twitter.com/hotforfood
instagram – http://www.instagram.com/hotforfood
snapchat – hotforfood
facebook – http://www.facebook.com/hotforfoodblog
pinterest – http://www.pinterest.com/hotforfoodblog
VEGAN GF GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE | hot for food