This recipe comes from the Food Network magazine. To me the recipe is overly sweet so I replaced the 1.5 C of sugar with 4 tablespoons of Swerve. While the alcohol does cook out in this recipe, you can eliminate the wine and replace it with water.
Servings: ~ 8
Total carbs per serving: 6.1g
Total net carbs per serving: 4.4g
12 oz. cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 to 4 tbsp. Swerve or other low carb sweetener (depending how sweet you like your sauce)
½ C Dry red wine
Spice Pouch Ingredients:
1 Cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp. Whole black peppercorns
3 Wide strips orange peel from small orange
3 Whole cloves
Special Equipment Needed:
1. Wrap the cinnamon stick, peppercorns, orange peel and cloves in a small pieces of cheesecloth and tie close with kitchen twine.
2. Combine cranberries, sweetener, wine and about 1/3 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Add the spice pouch and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the berries burst and the sauce thickens – about 20 minutes. If the sauce becomes too bubbly, you may have to lower the temperature slightly – just keep it simmering.
3. Transfer the cranberry sauce to a bowl and refrigerate at least 3 hours to overnight; discard the cheesecloth bundle.
4. Serve chilled.
1. You may need to more water if the sauce becomes too thick. I’d recommend adding a couple of tablespoons at a time.
2. Taste the sauce as it is cooking to determine if you need to add more sweetener. I’d recommend adding no more than 1 tsp. at a time. Just remember to adjust the carb count (4 tbsp. of Swerve adds a total/net 2.5g of carbs or 0.3g per serving).
Essential Tools That I Use In My Low Carb Kitchen:
For those interested in pursuing a low carb lifestyle, I HIGHLY recommend the following great books:
“Why We Get Fat,” by Gary Taubes — http://amzn.to/2cco9DK
“The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Living,” by Stephen D. Phinney and Jeff S. Volek — http://amzn.to/2yCymTJ
“The New Atkins For A New You” — http://amzn.to/2ziVsyb
Great low carb cookbooks I can’t live without:
1) “The Real Meal Revolution” — http://amzn.to/2zc2m5Q
2) “The Ketogenic Cookbook” — http://amzn.to/2gaimAu
“The Big Fat Surprise,” by Nina Teicholz — http://amzn.to/2xuvzLZ
Mulled Cranberry Sauce (Thick, Tasty, And Sugar Free)